Jaunty Artwork

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun Mar 8 21:03:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 05:25:24 +0200
Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:

> Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> >
> > I did test these using a P2 400MHz cpu with 320MB ram. The video
> > card only has 4MB memory, so this could be greatly different than a
> > new system. I did not find any of these slow my system down more
> > than any other, which normally is very noticable with an old
> > system.
> >
> > If need be, I can lower the ram to 128MB and repeat the tests
> Thanks Charlie for the valuable information! If you want to test with
> 128 (or probably 192, because that's our minimum recommended for
> desktop), it would be great.
>
> One more update: My suggestion for countdown banners for Jaunty can be
> seen at http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-countdown/. Those pictures
> are created by a very intelligent script, so modifications can be done
> easily.

Okay, tested again, with 192MB ram and 256MB ram. We should keep in
mind that this system is using an old STB Velocity (Riva 128) 4MB video
card. It is also connected to an older 17" CRT.

Learn is a 19-page AbiWord document. Help is from clicking the Help
icon

192MB ram:

Shiki Brave
Help opens in 13 seconds; Learn opens in 27 seconds
Scrolling is very bad; stops every 3-4 pages, have to click
again to start scrolling again (it will not scroll through the document
at one time)

Murrine-tangoesque
Help opens in 21 seconds; Learn opens in 27 seconds
Scrolling is fairly smooth; it is jerky, as it catches up in the
document, but never stops

Murrine-stormcloud
Help opens in 24 seconds; Learn opens in 25 seconds
Scrolling is fairly bad; it is very jerky, and stops and starts visibly.

256MB ram:

Shiki Brave
Help opens in 13 seconds; Learn opens in 17 seconds
Scrolling is very bad; stops every 3-4 pages, but will continue if the
button is kept down

Murrine-tangoesque
Help opens in 13 seconds; Learn opens in 21 seconds
Scrolling is fairly smooth; it is jerky, as it catches up in the
document, but never stops

Murrine-stormcloud
Help opens in 18 seconds; Learn opens in 21 seconds
Scrolling is fairly bad; it is very jerky, and stops and starts visibly.

By my testing, Shiki-Brave is going to lead to disappointed users,
since usability is visibly reduced. If the scrolling did not stop, it
would be more useable. Murrine-tangoesque is the smoothest scrolling
and is the best choice for useability, but the text is very hard to
see. If we could darken the text in it, this would be the best choice
on older, slower systems. Murrine-stormcloud has easy to see text and
boxes, but does not scroll well when reading the large file.

I would like to see Shiki included in Xubuntu, even if not the default,
because it is very nice to use, and is a *sharp* looking theme that
grabs your attention. At the very least, we could advise users try this
theme to get some user opinions.

--
Charlie Kravetz