Jaunty Artwork

Pasi Lallinaho open at knome.fi
Sun Mar 8 13:14:11 UTC 2009

Vincent wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:25 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi
> <mailto:open at knome.fi>> wrote:
>
>     Charlie Kravetz wrote:
>     >
>     > I did test these using a P2 400MHz cpu with 320MB ram. The video
>     card
>     > only has 4MB memory, so this could be greatly different than a new
>     > system. I did not find any of these slow my system down more
>     than any
>     > other, which normally is very noticable with an old system.
>     >
>     > If need be, I can lower the ram to 128MB and repeat the tests
>     Thanks Charlie for the valuable information! If you want to test with
>     128 (or probably 192, because that's our minimum recommended for
>     desktop), it would be great.
>

> In that case - great! This means we can use it now with perhaps a
> hardly noticeable speed decrease (and the user can always change the
> themes if he really cares), and since the theme author wants to move
> to Murrine that will improve in future releases as well. (Of course,
> it needs to run usable enough on 192MB).

Yes, there is no slowness issue as Charlie pointed out. The panels don't
look as good as they could on small color depth (see Charlie's
screenshot at http://www.mediafire.com/?uulzhbcsncs), but we need to
work on them anyway because at the moment it's hard to distinguish panel
from application menu bar (see
http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/panel-menu-issue.png).

Vincent also noted today that the Firefox fixes for Shiki-colors does
not seem to a lot. Thus we might not need to include those and would not
break any other themes accidentally.

This leaves Shiki-colors with no cons.

>     One more update: My suggestion for countdown banners for Jaunty can be
>     seen at http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-countdown/. Those pictures
>     are created by a very intelligent script, so modifications can be done
>     easily.
>

> Ha, very nice, it's just a bit unclear that this is about Xubuntu
> (i.e. the name is minuscule, my resolution is 1280x1024 so imagine
> what it looks like in 1024x800!).

I will play with these again later today.

06:16  cody-somerville: knome, It isn't obvious that it is a countdown
06:17  cody-somerville: knome, You might do something...

I think I'll try playing around with some text first. Adding a star
wouldn't really fit that and it would be somewhat hard to include
anyway. Let's see what comes.

>     --
>     Pasi Lallinaho
>     Xubuntu Marketing Lead
>     Web-designer, graphic artist
>     IRC: knome @ freenode
>

>     --
>

> Good job on the summarization email :)
>
> --
> Vincent
Thanks for the flattering comments across the ML and IRC and valuable
opinions again.