Jaunty Artwork

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sat Mar 7 23:27:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 00:14:36 +0200
Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi> wrote:

> Here is the current state, a quick recap of discussion on the ML and
> IRC and decisions this far with featured comments. I *definitely*
> missed something, so again, please kick me if something is missing or
> wrong.
>
> 1. gdm theme
>
> The gdm theme is coming up nicely. The final look will be much like
> jaunty-gdm-mockup-3.png [1]. (#2 is possible as well.) I will hack on
> the actual gdm theming (possibly this weekend and) next week. I need
> somebody to test the theme in his/her computer later that week. I'll
> let you know then.
>
> 2. Icon theme
>
> The current suggestion is still GNOME brave [2]. There has been little
> discussion about this and I NEED YOUR OPINIONS.

Tested this theme on my P2, 400MHz with 320MB ram. It is a very nice
choice for a theme. The colors appear to brighter than tango, but only
enough to be a noticable change. For someone who used Tango before it
was released because the icons were right for me, this theme is good.

It gives an subtle change without overpowering the user. It's like
"something changed, here. What is it?"

> 3. GTK+ theme
>
> There has been a lot of discussion about this. The three themes
> currently under investigation are MurrinaStormCloud (which is the
> default at the moment), Murrina-Tangoesque [3] and Shiki-colors [4].
>
> In addition to good-lookingness conversation, speed issues have been
> raised at #xubuntu-devel. Both Murrina themes seem to be about the
> same speed, but Shiki (which runs the Clearlooks engine) is notably
> slower. Having rounded corners or not doesn't seem to affect much
> speed-wise.
>
> Below is some kind of chart of comments, pros and cons this far.
>
> *MurrinaStormCloud*
> +: reliable
> -: used so long as default (3-4 releases?), too much contrast, "looks
> bad"!

I agree on multiple uses. Also, I have never liked the way the buttons
are shaded using this theme. I have always had issues trying to
determine the default choice when the buttons are shaded so lightly.

> *Murrina-Tangoesque*
> +: a bit more fresh than MSC
> -: way too little contrast (big problem with old monitors/graphic
> cards), "just awful"

This one is real hard for me to see the text. It is just too light.
Perhaps darkening the text would help.

> *Shiki-colors*
> +: looks fresh, fits really well with the artwork, designed to work
> with GNOME-colors icon theme(s)
> -: SLOW, has some problems with Firefox (fixes at [5]), Emerald

This one is great on my old system. Maybe I installed the wrong one,
since I chose to try Shiki-Brave. It is super for Xubuntu. Contrast is
good, mostly. Gives a darker appearance with out creating gloom. Paired
with Gnome-colors icons, this would be a fine choice.

> It seems that any of these would need some modification if decided to
> use in Jaunty.
>
> Thanks for George for pointing out I should copy the theme to
> /usr/share/themes rather than ~/.themes. That fixed the problems
> mentioned earlier.
>
> 4. xfwm theme
>
> Everybody seem to be satisfied with the default in Jaunty/Xfce 4.6. I
> have contacted Olivier Fourdan, the creator of the theme about some
> minor issues in it. Jannis suggested OF is keen on improving his
> themes, so we should get those modifications easily to Jaunty.
>
> 5. Wallpaper
>
> The wallpaper will be something like the current mockup,
> jaunty-wall-mockup.png [6]. People seem to like it so it will most
> possibly only change a bit until Jaunty release. Charlie pointed to
> some contrast issues with the Xubuntu logo on the background, those
> will be addressed.
>
> 6. Usplash / Live CD boot menu
>
> These need updating. We have the new "official" logo which we want to
> use consistently, so it is clear what the graphics would be. Who is
> willing to handle the technical side and sit down with me for some
> time?
>
> 7. Yelp theme
>
> We are making Yelp look Xubuntu [7]. I installed ubuntu-docs, but i
> can't see the ubuntu banner used anywhere, so I can't reliably test
> how the Xubuntu graphics would work. Jim, maybe you can help me with
> this? :]
>
> 8. Packaging issues
>
> We can't add new packages to Jaunty anymore, so any icon/GTK+ theme we
> want to add have to be added to an existing package, most possibly
> xubuntu-artwork (even this would not be the correct solution).
>
> 00:39  knome: so anything we use must be already packaged?
> 00:39  cody-somerville: either that or stuffed into any existing
> package 00:41  cody-somerville: we could stuff it into
> xubuntu-artwork or something
>
> 9. For your reference...
>
> [1]
> http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-artwork/jaunty-gdm-mockup-3.png
> [2]
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562
> [3]
> http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Murrina-Tangoesque?content=66200
> [4]
> http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Shiki-Colors+for+xfwm?content=88913
> [5] http://userstyles.org/styles/10822 [6]
> http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-artwork/jaunty-wall-mockup.png
> [7] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-doc/+bug/332687

I did test these using a P2 400MHz cpu with 320MB ram. The video card
only has 4MB memory, so this could be greatly different than a new
system. I did not find any of these slow my system down more than any
other, which normally is very noticable with an old system.

If need be, I can lower the ram to 128MB and repeat the tests.

--
Charlie Kravetz