CD Distribution

Eddy Martin hpp3 at lavabit.com
Wed Feb 11 21:53:02 UTC 2009

Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <open at knome.fi
> <mailto:open at knome.fi>> wrote:
> <snip>
>

>     Hello everybody who is involved in this discussion.
>
>     I think this is a great idea and we should use LoCo's for this as much
>     as possible. LoCo's can be very helpful with these kinds of
>     things, but
>     they also have some problematic points. I believe in the goodwill of
>     people. I even believe that many LoCo participants are ready to
>     use one
>     of her CD's and burn the image to it and send it to somebody who needs
>     the CD - and I have seen this happen for many times.
>

> Yes, utilizing LoCo teams is an excellent idea. Not only does the
> individual get a cd with Xubuntu, they also get a local or regional
> contact for help and support.
>
> As for a central location to request CDs from, unfortunately I'm not
> sure if we have the resources available to us currently to come up
> with something like that as we near the end of the release cycle for
> Jaunty. However, if I'm not mistaken, LoCo teams are well documented
> on the wiki.
>
> However, if someone wants to take this on then they certainly have my
> blessings.
>
> <snip>
>

>     Charlie, unfortunately there is no one else in the marketing team but
>     me. I hope we can get this changed. Eddy? :)
>     Larry, #xubuntu-devel would be the most appropriate IRC channel on
>     this.
>     You can recognize me from the nick knome, as Charlie pointed out
>     earlier.
>     Cody, maybe you would like to give an opinion?
>

> #xubuntu-devel should be fine. :)
>

>     It might be I missed something from the discussion. In that case, ping
>     me at IRC or just ask again.
>
>     --
>     Pasi Lallinaho
>     Xubuntu Marketing Lead
>     Web-designer, graphic artist
>     IRC: knome @ freenode
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Cody A.W. Somerville
> Software Systems Release Engineer
> Custom Engineering Solutions Group
> Canonical OEM Services
> Cell: 506-471-8402
> Email: cody.somerville at canonical.com
> <mailto:cody.somerville at canonical.com>
Thanks for the replies, Cody and Pasi.

Cody - Good to know that LoCos are listed on the Wiki, I hadn't thought
of that as a resource. Perhaps reference to them could be located in a
more prominent place for those who are looking to receive a CD by mail
or from a local group?

Also, I understand that resources are hard to come by. While my original
idea encompassed providing a community-based alternative to Ship-It for
the Xubuntu distro, it would necessarily entail mundane details like
server space, code, volunteers, etc. and I have no idea how to go about
that myself. Maybe somebody could get their LoCo involved more along
those lines and get this idea kickstarted, who knows...

Pasi - Thank you for the invitation, I'd love to help any way I can. I
only fear I may not have the necessary time or talent for whatever
assistance you may need. Let me know where I can help and I'll do what I
can. Folks tell me I could do well writing advertising copy if I only
had the credentials... :)