unified notifications in xubuntu

Wed Apr 29 12:46:37 BST 2009

2009/4/27 Simon Steinbeiß <simon.steinbeiss at elfenbeinturm.at>

> [...]
> > notifications.
> >
> > Thus, what I'm trying to say is that you don't really need Xubuntu to
> look
> > at it but each individual application that doesn't adhere to the standard
> > (which most of them do, I'd argue).
> >

> Hi,
> I do understand your point. Nevertheless there are a few cases where I
> think Xubuntu
> should do some work on the notification system. (The applications that
> don't adhere to the
> standards are most likely to be patched by Ubuntu anyway, or so I like to
> assume.)
>
> There are two specific use cases that came to my attention when I first
> tried notify-osd
> a few days ago.
> The first is the brightness control, which is neatly integrated in
> notify-osd. (That's
> exactly the kind of "unification" of desktop appearance I'm referring to in
> this
> discussion's title.) The other one is (audio)volume control. At the moment
> xfce4's mixer
> is lacking a cli to achieve volume changes, but even so it's possible
> through workarounds
> (like the small script I posted before). I think volume-changes should be -
> *by default*
> - reflected in the notification system. At the moment xfce4-notifyd is
> unable to display
>  bars and even if this doesn't change, I would argue that a display of
> percentage in
>  numbers would be sufficient.
>
> For other programmes like Skype I'm happy to share the few additional lines
> one needs to
> add to Skype's $USERPROFILE/config.xml so that other users might take
> advantage of this
> too. (Maybe a wiki would be a good place.)
>
> Going back to brightness and volume control, I took a look at Ubuntu's
> notify-osd
> Development Guidelines (
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDevelopmentGuidelines) and at
> least for me this is too complex to sort it out. Maybe some of you are
> skilled enough
> (and willing) to understand how they send the brightness/volume control
> through
> notify-osd. (This would not only be helpful to adopt their method for
> xfce4-notifyd but
> also to be able to implement volume-controls for Xubuntu users that prefer
> notify-osd
> over xfce4-notifyd.)
>
> So to finally return to your argument Vincent, I believe you are right that
> Xubuntu
> doesn't have to patch tons of applications but it still would be nice if
> user's had the
> choice between two notification daemons of equal functionality (at least as
> long as it's
> unclear to which of the two Xubuntu will stick).

I get your point, and I'd recommend you to contact the Xfce developers
(through http://bugzilla.xfce.org/enter_bug.cgi ) as I think it'd be their
job to add this (at least for brightness and volume, as I think Xfce handles
this). Then again, I think they'll be reluctant in adding this until
Canonical manages to get this into freedesktop.org.

--
Vincent