Xubuntu PS3 Hardy Heron - Very Quick & Easy Project That Just Needs A Few Devs, Most Of The Work Is Already Done

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed May 7 11:16:22 BST 2008

On 5/7/08, wikoogle <wikoogle at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> theoretically grow to a larger market share than mac OSX, which would put it
> on the proverbial radar in a very serious way.
>
> As of now both the Ubuntu PS3 port and the Xubuntu ports are struggling. I
> would love it if you guys reassess the value of this port and really throw
> your might behind creating one ultimate hardy heron release. Not only that,
> but I think Xuibuntu should use the opportunity to implement a few features
> that could make it the best gaming OS on earth, such as qjoypad integration
> and a gaming-mode wherein all processes not related to the task at hand are
> hibernated to swap while a game or, say, fullscreen blender, runs.
>
> Windows is why people are running from the PC for their gaming. Let them
> run to linux. Let them not be disappointed. ...Let them wonder why they even
> bother with windows.
>
> In addition, Sony has done something great by letting us use the PS3 to
> run linux's own code. Let them be envied for it.
>
> What can linux's devs lose by developing Xubuntu for the PS3? Maybe
> countless people around the world using Xubuntu on the most powerful
> computer out there? If Xubuntu isn't there for the PS3, everyone will turn
> to YellowDog and Ubuntu, which are only slightly more functional, and
> incredibly slow due to the ram limitations. There are very few people who
> retain hope for PS3 version of Xubuntu.
>
> I'm not just saying this is an opportunity. I'm saying this is a good
> opportunity, and a relatively exclusive opportunity. To miss it would be
> terrible. Not that we will. Those of us with PS3's are making do with what
> we have... but the lack of real support really will have slowed us down in
> taking advantage of the situation.
>
> Furthermore, you guys are  our best hope of negotiating the unlocking of
> the RSX. If that happens, linux will be in direct competition with the PS3's
> gaming OS. If you guys care to compete, and we make something better, well,
> what would that say about gaming on linux? People have PS3's. Did anyone
> think they just might want to try tremulous, apricot, warsow, urbanterror,
> nexuiz, openarena, and so on and so forth on them? How else is that going to
> happen? PS3 owners are humans too. And they're a lot more likely to try
> linux on their PS3 than their PC, I would think.
> Everyone I know who owns a PS3 told me that he wants to use his PS3 as a
> surfing/office/entertainment machine and has heard that there are ways to
> put another OS on it and that they want to get rid of a PC in their living
> room because it's too loud and too big and they need it for news and surfing
> and stuff like that, but would like to just have only a PS3 they already
> own with possibilities of a simple living-room-pc. I think that a simple
> installation of Xubuntu on a PS3 would give a great market share for
> Xubuntu and PS3-Users would love to have an linux os that is not slowed to
> a crawl by the PS3's meager 256 mbs of ram.

I suppose I'll post my reply on the Xfce mailinglist for those not
subscribed there:

(...)
> Though I predict that it's not going to happen. Xubuntu is already lacking
> manpower. The PS3 is very much an edge use case. Right, 20 million people
> might use a PS3, but consider how many people are using a PC and how many
> actually run a Linux distribution, let alone Xubuntu.
>
> If you like, you could see if you can create your own PS3 version of
> Xubuntu, but Xubuntu is a volunteer project with a shortage in manpower.

If, indeed, it is an easy project, you might indeed want to do this
yourself. You might want to look at Reconstructor [1] and UCK [2] which I
*think* would allow you to do this.

[1] http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/
[2] http://uck.sourceforge.net/

--