Readers are commenting on ubuntu's intrepid look and feel

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Mon Jun 30 11:36:03 UTC 2008

jmak wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Jelle de Jong
> <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
>> jmak wrote:
>>> The look and feel of Ubuntu Intrepid invoked very strong opinions
>>> among digg.com (http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_8_10_Intrepid_Ibex_Alpha_1_Screenshots)
>>> readership. Here are some of them.
>>> ------
>>>
>>> "What a hideous theme, what really, really worries me is that they
>>> even remotely considered something like this let alone made it
>>> available.
>>>
>>> Whoever designed it should be shot."
>>>
>>> ---------
>>>
>>> "I have to agree."
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> "While I hope nobody will be *shot*, I have to agree that this theme is poor.
>>> It's unappealing to look at, looks worse when apps are running in it
>>> (OpenOffice is hideous) and its colour scheme is particularly ugly."
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> WTF ..Is this for real ??
>>>
>>> ------
>>>
>>> "The theme literally looks like ***** was smeared all over the
>>> monitor. Not that I could do any better, but this theme gives me a
>>> feeling less like "human" and more like "sewer"."
>>>
>>> -------
>>>
>>> "Ugg...I thought the color scheme was supposed to include BLACK. Not
>>> ugly mud-crap-brown..."
>>>
>>> -----
>>> "The theme is not what I was expecting... I was hoping for something a
>>> little less... dark brown, like the color of my *****."
>>>
>>> ------
>>> "Video Conferencing with Nelson Mandela on Ubuntu?"
>>>
>>> -----
>>>
>>> Up until sunday night, not a single positve comment. Amazing.
>>>
>>> jmak
>>>

>>  let users vote and comment on the best
>> layout, and if the majority accepts the new looks and feels,
>>

> As a general rule, users should be never allowed to vote, even if they
> are right. This case demonstrates that look and feel should be given
> more priority.
>
> jmak

Just curious why you removed all the surrounding text I posted. I find
this a bid insulting to manipulate the information given by others. This
can give an unintended impressions on other readers. Please leave text
from others intact, this is fair and clear. You can always quote and
refer to specific line to address more focus on your comments.

All is about communication with users and developers. Voting and proving
comments about changes are just a tool to level users and developers and
provide insights. So that the distribution gets a good match on his
target audience. I don't see why voting cant be used as a tool. It
should not be a single decision instrument though, because people can be
manipulated and make votes with faulty arguments as background.

Kind regards,

Jelle