Moving w3m out of standard

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 17 15:28:41 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:31 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at canonical.com> wrote:

>  * w3m            # we need some text-based html presenter
>
> I'd like to formally cast doubt on this statement from the standard seed.
> This was originally added a long time ago in order to provide a text-based
> browser for use on servers, at a time when the default server installation
> was a strict subset of the desktop.  It is completely superfluous on a
> modern desktop.

No complaints from the Xubuntu crew as I don't hear many of our users using
w3m. Furthermore, it is much appreciated that this was brought up as I think
it would be appropriate to note in the release notes (especially so for
Xubuntu at least).

It also appears there is general consensus for this chance so when should we
expect this to occur (as I'm sure the QA team will want to update their
tests/documentation in time for the next batch of testing)? Final
notification that this chance has indeed occurred would be appreciated.

<snip>
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UDS-Intrepid/Report/Server#head-27b6797bcec023c8714310edd0947ee48caaa8f2>

<snip>

Cody A.W. Somerville