Artwork proposals for xubuntu 8.10

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 16:27:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:44 PM, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Here are a few ideas that I am proposing for xubuntu's next release.
>> The order of items are indicating the priority of tasks.
>>
>> 1) Create a brand new gtk theme. For the time being, I am suggesting
>> the use of Unity. The theme has been created by Cimi, a gnome
>> developer; it is fast and bug free. The theme has a nice gray tone to
>> it. Easy on the eye and contemporary in appearance. It harmonizes
>> with any color schemes. As a bonus, it is already included in the
>> universe repository as a part of the gnome extras package. Cimi will
>> release a brand new murrina engine and a range of new themes in
>> August. We can take a look at these themes when they will be available
>> and we can decide  about their use.
>
> Create or use a new GTK theme? Creating sounds like a hell of a job... :)

I meant to find one.

>> 2) Replace the Tango icons to a more modern and visually appealing
>> theme. I have created a new wiki page for visual ideas. If you have
>> any suggestion for icons or any other idea please indicate it on the
>> wiki; this way all ideas will be in one place for easier review. The
>> address is: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid
>
> The problem is, of course, that we do need a complete set. Perhaps Fedora's
> new Echo icon theme is something to look at?
> https://fedorahosted.org/echo-icon-theme/

Vincent, if you find an icon theme upload an image of it to the wiki
so that we can see all the potential candidates in one place.

The other thing: almost all icon sets are more less a work in
progress, even Tango.

>> 3) Make sure that the fine details of the desktop is taken care of.
>> This is something, I have been advocating for many years but always
>> ignored. The details may include theming the panel, improving the
>> icons' appearances on the panel or getting rid of the visual noises
>> (for instance, the label backgrounds).
>
> It'd be highly preferred if the icon label backgrounds could be edited
> graphically. I don't know what Xfce 4.6 will have to offer in that area...?

Why is this a problem. You cannot do it graphically in Gnome either,
neither in Kde, as far as I know

> As for theming the panel: just have a go at it, I'd say. I believe it can
> just be done in the GTK theme, so...
>

>> 4) New Usplash and throbber. The current one (the throbber) is nothing
>> less than atrocious (borrowed from Ubuntu), it made the Usplash look
>> like an ugly patchwork; this needs to be tackled. Lets keep in mind
>> that the Usplash is not there only to inform or entertain, but also to
>> function as a branding image; this is what the user sees at each boot
>> up-- it supposed to burn the brand image in the mind of the user.
>
> I absolutely agree and would welcome almost any change on especially the
> throbber.

I've already created a new throbber but for some reason it didn't make
it into Hardy