Displaying Xubuntu documentation

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 18:53:52 BST 2008

Hi All,

Cody and I have chatted a bit about possibly using yelp in Xubuntu for
Xubuntu documentation.  As a documentor, I have to be in favor of this at
this point.  Ubuntu documentation gets more and more contributors every day,
and they're doing some pretty neat things for Ubuntu documentation,
including separate sections for trouble-shooting for common problems.  Plus,
with so many contributors, they're able to easily keep up with the ongoing
changes in how Ubuntu works.

As it stands now, keeping up with the changes in Ubuntu documentation in
Xubuntu would be difficult because of how our documentation files are
structured differently.  Basically, because Xubuntu has used Firefox, we've
had to make our documentation one large meta-document, this is technically
not correct from a docbook standpoint, and having a different structure
makes adapting changes from Ubuntu documentation more time-consuming than it
should be.  It took a lot of time to adapt the Ubuntu documentation from
Gutsy for Hardy, and I don't think it would be a good idea to try to do the
same thing from one release to another, only to have our docs outdated every
time we go to update them.

Adapting from the current ubuntu docs would allow us to focus on providing
better documentation of xfce-specific modules, and then bring in all of the
shared *buntu documentation when it was fleshed-out for the current
release.  Keeping up on any doc bug fixes from Ubuntu would be easy.

According to Cody, yelp doesn't use the heavier gnome-libs anymore, and as
far as I know, any additional libraries that yelp uses would just be loaded
at runtime.   We could use some profiling-foo to see the full impact of
yelp, though.

As an additional note, the xubuntu-doc-browser from the Gutsy cycle was only
being developed to present html files, and wouldn't really fix the issue
here.  Yelp uses xml files with yelp-specific "ghelp" links within the
documentation, and the doc-browser was being developed to display html
pages.

Anyway, let me know what you think.  Thanks,

Jim