About the Xubuntu website

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Jul 18 18:38:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:27:27 +0000
Vincent <mailinglists at vinnl.nl> wrote:

> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >> In terms of your availability to work on the project, we're trying to
> >> break the project down into smaller, well-defined chunks to make it easier
> >> for people to participate.  Unfortunately, I haven't guaged how much time
> >> it will take per person, per week, but I will do my best to keep weekly time
> >> requirements down.
> >>
> > Cool, I'll see tomorrow or maybe tonight if I can play around with
> > proposing a site structure.
> >

> Well, I've tried my hands a bit at proposing a site structure, I've put
> together a specification at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Specifications/Intrepid/WebsiteContent .
> I've also added a quick mockup, I don't know if that intrudes too much on
> the designing process but I figured I'd add it anyway because it gives a
> good idea of what I'm thinking of.
>
> Best,
> --
> Vincent

Vincent,
  I looked your specifications over a couple of times now. I agree with
most, but when it comes to news, I believe a sentence or two summary is
much more powerful than the headlines. I have never felt headlines
alone jump out at me.

Example:
Xubuntu 8.04.01 released

or

Xubuntu 8.04.01 released; Announcing the latest release of Xubuntu Long
Term Support version. This incorporates the latest bug fixes among
other things.

Which one would attract attention?

This type of thing is easy in Drupal, you should be able to specify the
number of lines it presents, if I recall correctly. Unless it has
changed now.

I'd also like something that says I don't have to go more than 3-4
levels to get to everything on the site. If that means an extra page or
two at the top levels, fine. I hate clicking through many pages to find
what anything is.

And my last thing. Is this going to be laid out like the Ubuntu
Homepage? There is a specification in the wiki which points out a few
things[1]. Somehow, in the midst of revamping the website, I would
like to see some of the wiki pages combined or updated, also.

We need to remember that even if Xubuntu is free, we are still
marketing the software. Without strong marketing, we will lose any
share of the users out there. Here is a page[2] on what to look for,
which should be brought up to date if necessary. At least the ideas
presented should be considered.

I think our colors should reflect the colors in the wiki banner, and
that something needs to tell users they aren't hijacked when we
redirect them. The first time the wiki sent me to the website, I closed
it and started over. I didn't know it was part of Xubuntu. This needs
to be made real clear.

Well, that's probably enough for now. I like the proposal. I'm not so
good at writing specs, but can write the pages when I know what I
want on them.

[1]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Specifications/Intrepid/WebsiteContent
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Specifications