About the Xubuntu website

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 20:13:57 UTC 2008

Hi All,

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm currently reading up on the meeting log. Unfortunately I couldn't
> attend, but when it comes to the website, I think I might be able to help a
> little bit.
>
> Regarding the following:
>
> [14:28] <technolalia> keeping news, links and release notes up to date needs to be done regularly
>>

> I'm already doing this and will continue to do so :) (Well, except for the
> release notes, though I might also be able to do so if I do do a timely
> upgrade for 8.10)

Sounds good.  Thanks, Vincent.

> Regarding the theme:
>
> I'm fluent with CSS. My problem with Drupal is that I don't know its HTML
> (which is easy to overcome, i.e. easy to grasp). What's more important,
> though, is whether other stylesheets are loaded with Drupal. Do I need to
> work around those?

I wouldn't really be qualified to answer this question now, but maybe
someone else can.  The graphic design part isn't of primary importance at
this time (see below).

My second problem is time. At the moment, I've got a very long holiday so,
> when I'm not gone, I should have a lot of time to work on it. However, this
> means the theme itself should be finished pretty soon so I can spend some
> holiday time working on it before I start my university classes. Would that
> be possible?

We were planning to flesh out the overall structure and content first before
we got into design and theming.  We're driving things from the inside out so
that we don't start developing a theme that doesn't fit with how the site
will be structured.  Plus, I think it would be more motivational for
designers if we said, "Look, here's all of this content, can you help us
build something around it?" rather than just having them start to create a
theme.  Seeing that so much work had already been done would show how
committed we are to the project.

Still, design work will need to be done . . . I've started adding project
info to the wiki [1], so please take a look at that page.  We don't have
anyone listed to do that artwork & design elements at this time, so if you
think you could contribute to that, please add your name there.  (As a note,
I'm going to create a table of project participants so that we can include
our email addresses and irc handles, too.  It will make it easier for us to
stay in touch.)

In terms of your availability to work on the project, we're trying to break
the project down into smaller, well-defined chunks to make it easier for
people to participate.  Unfortunately, I haven't guaged how much time it
will take per person, per week, but I will do my best to keep weekly time
requirements down.

> I think that this time I can attend the website team meeting (Tuesday 18:00
> UTC right?), my IRC nickname is vinnl (used to be vinze).

We will have weekly meetings on Tuesdays at 1800 UTC, but we won't have the
first one until next week, Tuesday, July 22.  The meetings will be held in
#xubuntu-devel.

Talk to you soon,

Jim

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/SpecialProjects