Universe move backlash

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 21 05:45:01 UTC 2008

Hello Developers & Jono,

CC: ubuntu-marketing

 If you've heard my position on the migration of the xubuntu-specific
packages to universe, my biggest concern was the community issues revolving
around the move. Since the infrastructure for building the ISOs have been
updated, the only difference between having the xubututu-specific packages
in main and universe is the audience who can upload to that repository and
small policies/procedures changes. However, this e-mail is not to rehash the
number of concerns I had brought up but to address one specifically.
Unfortunately, the migration from main to universe has resulted in confusion
and some misleading news posts.

For example:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Xubuntu_is_no_longer_supported_by_Canonical

We also received our first confused user in #xubuntu shortly after the above
article appeared on digg:

[01:06] <bytor4232> So does this mean anything:
http://digg.com/linux_unix/Xubuntu_is_no_longer_supported_by_Canonical
[01:07] <bytor4232> Are just the packages moving to universe, or is Xubuntu
as a project going away?
[01:07] <bytor4232> I do so love the Xubuntu live CD.

After I explained that the change had no direct effect on the end-user and
that we would continue to provide the xubuntu-desktop package and Xubuntu
ISOs, he expressed his original fears/interpretations:

[01:29] <bytor4232> Whew.
[01:30] <bytor4232> I'm extremely happy about that.  My fear, and the fear
of the digger at the link above, is that Ubuntu was trying to re-absorb all
the specialized distro spinoffs, like xubuntu, edubuntu, and kubuntu.
[01:31] <bytor4232> I like the fact that Ubuntu has specialized projects
like Xubuntu.

Jono/Marketing Team: Would it be possible to do something PR wise to defuse
the situation?

Thanks,

Cody

--