xfce.mk

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 14 11:12:29 UTC 2008

Jani Monoses-3 wrote:

> We use CDBS for Xfce packages and that greatly simplifies the rules
> file, however Debian Xfce do not use these. I have in vain tried two
> years ago to convince them, and I see Ubuntu packagers still have to
> merge.
> Is any of you in good enough a relation with the debian-xfce team to try
> and persuade them to use a unified CDBS class as we do and drop the
> various debhelper, cdbs, dpatch and anything else they may have due to
> those packages having been created at different times by different
> maintainers. It would help them too because it is much clearer and us
> because merging would be easier.
>
> thanks
> Jani

Hi,

The only advantage of xfce.mk is the automatic inclusion of langpack.mk.
Xubuntu is now in universe, the translations aren't managed anymore in
Rosetta, and thus we don't need langpack.mk anymore (xfce.mk also calls
dh_desktop and dh_icons, but very few packages need them).

So I think we should get rid of xfce.mk (starting on the next merges, and
definitely for hardy+1). Debian pkg-xfce has started some patches
"unification" recently (switch to quilt). This would turn many of the merges
into syncs.

I would like to have more input before I start dropping xfce.mk on the
pending merges. ;)

Cheers,
Lionel