gnome-utils proposal

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:00:25 GMT 2008

On 12/02/2008, Jani Monoses <jani at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Another gnome package proposal. It consists of useful utilities which
> are only run explicitly and for which we have no equivalents (except for
> screenshot as a panel plugin)
>
> The utils are:
>
>   - baobab, a disk usage analyser
>    - gfloppy, a tool for formatting floppy disks
>    - gnome-dictionary, a program which can look up the definition of words
>      over the internet (including a panel applet to do the same)
>    - gnome-search-tool, with which one can find files by name or content
>    - gnome-system-log, a log viewing application
>    - gnome-screenshot, a tool to take desktop screenshots and save them
> into    a file
>
> I know there were plans of adding search to thunar and also a disk usage
> view but those have not materialized afaik. Same for floppy formatter.
>
> Since many users would find these helpful but would not know where to
> find them if not installed I propose including them.
>
> Pros, cons?

I've installed it too, and it's a very usefull addition, but first the
following bug needs to be solved:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-utils/+bug/163518
(The applications don't show up in the menu currently)

If gnome-utils is not to be included, I think Hardy should definitely
include at least a search tool and a screenshot tool.

Jani

Thanks,

--
Vincent