Xubuntu's goals

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Feb 5 20:59:00 UTC 2008

Ghostvirus kirjoitti:
> On Feb 5, 2008 2:18 PM, Arthur H. Johnson II <arthur.johnson at gmail.com
> <mailto:arthur.johnson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think the focus should be on making Xubuntu the lightweight
>     Ubuntu-like distro, as well as promoting Xfce.  In other words, I feel
>     that Xfce is the perfect tool to unite all the low-calorie applications
>     together.
>
>     Being user friendly should take a back seat to bringing Ubuntu to
>     platforms like old laptops, UMPCs, or making hardware with limited
>     resources like new again.
>

> I agree with this. Many of the apps and utilities that are considered
> "lightweight" are aiming to be so, and aren't necessarily aiming at also
> being newbie-friendly. More often than not, they assume you know what
> you're doing.

The "user" in user friendly refers to both newbies and us so called
power users. I don't subscribe to the idea that being user friendly
somehow automatically has to make the app less powerful. The UI needs to
be clean and logical to be efficient and provide the necessary amount of
(but not too many) options and configurability with sane defaults, and
everybody wins.

Xfce doesn't make being lightweight its only priority and I don't think
we should either. The only assumption we should make is that people
don't want to spend time fiddling with their system or learn unnecessary
stuff when they could be doing something productive instead.

- Jari