Xubuntu's goals

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Tue Feb 5 20:26:13 UTC 2008

Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:
> Vincent wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Another branch off, regarding Xubuntu's goals.
>>
>> I've asked this in the past, and then I was told that Xubuntu's goal
>> was user-friendliness.
>>
>> However, with the recent discussion, it seems that Xubuntu's primary
>> goal could also be either to create a light-weight distribution, or to
>> promote Xfce.
>>
>> I'd like some clarity on this whole issue, and I'd prefer to hear from
>> the main developers (packagers) what they have in mind regarding
>> Xubuntu. If the goals have changed considerably, perhaps it is time
>> for me to look for another distribution that does suit my needs, and
>> Xubuntu could really start focusing on this one specific group. IMHO a
>> bit of clarity would make life easier for everyone and the best for
>> the project that is Xubuntu, too.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> --
>> Vincent
> I think the focus should be on making Xubuntu the lightweight
> Ubuntu-like distro, as well as promoting Xfce.  In other words, I feel
> that Xfce is the perfect tool to unite all the low-calorie applications
> together.
>
> Being user friendly should take a back seat to bringing Ubuntu to
> platforms like old laptops, UMPCs, or making hardware with limited
> resources like new again.

How about following the Xfce philosophy of "[aiming] to be fast and
lightweight, while still being visually appealing and easy to use"[1].
Personally I use Xfce solely because I find it less of a hindrance to my
work flow than the competition (read: GNOME and KDE) on both modern and
older systems.

We don't need another Ubuntu, so let's prefer and promote Xfce apps
where applicable, but let's also keep in mind that even Xfce doesn't
want to sacrifice usability and aesthetics to work on every piece of
antique hardware out there, so neither should Xubuntu.

- Jari

[1] http://www.xfce.org/about/