Things that should be done early on in the Xubuntu release cycle

Eddy Martin hpp3 at lavabit.com
Tue Dec 16 18:19:51 UTC 2008

Good ideas all around. I'm especially curious about the last item.
Historically KDE and Gnome have had their own preferred naming scheme for icons and whatnot, so I assume Xfce has as well (I never researched it thoroughly before now...), but I wonder...

I'm finding out how difficult it is to convert a package from Gnome to Freedesktop (I'm making a valiant attempt to convert the Nuvola set from gnome-theme-extras as an intellectual exercise...), so would it be too much to ask theme devs to update their sets to conform to the Freedesktop spec and is that the goal here?
Speaking of which, how well do the three environments support the Freedesktop spec?
I heard rumors of KDE4 being fully Freedesktop compatible, and I've noticed Xfce icon sets that follow as well, but how far does that go?

As for other suggestionss, I'll ruminate and post later.

-Eddy