aesthetics

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 17:20:42 UTC 2008

>> > Bad idea, AWN isn't great in terms of usability. It leaves the two
>> > bottom
>> > corners, which are easiest to reach with the mouse (together with the
>> > top
>> > corners) unused. Besides, AWN takes up quite a lot of vertical space
>> > while
>> > we will still also need a top panel for the menu and such.
>>
>> Dreamlinux uses the similar set up but with engage. I find it
>> extremely usable.
>
> Well, it's a fact that the corners are the easiest to reach, so it's a waste
> not to use it.
>

>> Because engage is sitting behind the applications
>> only one panel visible, that even optimizes screenspace.
>
> Having the icons behind the applications is really not that handy, see
> http://www.digiplace.nl/images/dream.png
> The margin at the bottom is distracting and meanwhile the dock is unusable.

I see what you mean; but something wrong with that picture. Dreamlinux
default setting is that the launcher is behind the application and you
are not supose to see any space like that, because the application
fills the entirely screen like in the picture below.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6295/screenshot1er1.png

You can also configure the launcher to autohide, or sit in the front
and many others. So it is very configurable.