aesthetics

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:57:04 UTC 2008

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:01 PM, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with you. I am also running dreamlinux, in fact that is the
>> only distro that I didn't feel the need to change its defaults
>> setting.
>> This just shows what I said before; how important the look is. And how
>> important to understand the target audience preferences.
>> By the way, AWN developers are working on a standalone launcher that
>> works without compiz. Maybe, we can already start thinking about
>> replacing xubuntu's bottom panel in the upcoming releases with AWN
>> launcher.
>
> Bad idea, AWN isn't great in terms of usability. It leaves the two bottom
> corners, which are easiest to reach with the mouse (together with the top
> corners) unused. Besides, AWN takes up quite a lot of vertical space while
> we will still also need a top panel for the menu and such.

Dreamlinux uses the similar set up but with engage. I find it
extremely usable. Because engage is sitting behind the applications
only one panel visible, that even optimizes screenspace. I like the
idea that the systemtray and the menu is on the same panel. And in the
next awn release, you will be able position the launchers any side of
the screen.
In the last sentence, you meant its size? It is too large that's what you meant?

>> I already mentioned many releases ago that xubuntu needs a
>> personality, a character rather than slavishly copying gnome layout.
>> This is all the more important, because with the fantastic release of
>> kde 4, there is a chance that gnome will fade into the twilight zone.
>
> Fantastic is subjective. GNOME won't fade into obscurity. KDE created itself
> a new niche so that now both GNOME and KDE really have their own, mostly
> separate, target audience.
>

>> Even Mark Suttleworth indicated, it is possible that in the future kde
>> will be the main ubuntu desktop rather than gnome.
>
> No he didn't. He said that an LGPL Qt might be the basis of GNOME instead of
> GTK - with an emphasis on *might*, because clearly that would be a lot of
> work. Besides, GTK is also still improving.

I was not sure exactly the wording; but now he starts talking about
the beauty of the macintosh and the fact that ubuntu has to look even
better, indicates that when kde 4 will be fully functional he might
make kde as a main ubuntu desktop.

> Regarding the tutorial on reporting things on Launchpad: it's not *that*
> difficult, but I might write one.

Thanks for that.

jmak