Vincent mailinglists at
Mon Aug 4 17:09:36 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:57 PM, jmak <jozmak at> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Vincent <mailinglists at> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:01 PM, jmak <jozmak at> wrote:
> >>
> >> I agree with you. I am also running dreamlinux, in fact that is the
> >> only distro that I didn't feel the need to change its defaults
> >> setting.
> >> This just shows what I said before; how important the look is. And how
> >> important to understand the target audience preferences.
> >> By the way, AWN developers are working on a standalone launcher that
> >> works without compiz. Maybe, we can already start thinking about
> >> replacing xubuntu's bottom panel in the upcoming releases with AWN
> >> launcher.
> >
> > Bad idea, AWN isn't great in terms of usability. It leaves the two bottom
> > corners, which are easiest to reach with the mouse (together with the top
> > corners) unused. Besides, AWN takes up quite a lot of vertical space
> while
> > we will still also need a top panel for the menu and such.
> Dreamlinux uses the similar set up but with engage. I find it
> extremely usable.

Well, it's a fact that the corners are the easiest to reach, so it's a waste
not to use it.

> Because engage is sitting behind the applications
> only one panel visible, that even optimizes screenspace.

Having the icons behind the applications is really not that handy, see
The margin at the bottom is distracting and meanwhile the dock is unusable.

> I like the
> idea that the systemtray and the menu is on the same panel.

That already is the case in Xubuntu IIRC.

> And in the
> next awn release, you will be able position the launchers any side of
> the screen.
> In the last sentence, you meant its size? It is too large that's what you
> meant?

Yep, if it doesn't hide behind windows then it takes up a lot of screen real
estate (with a lot wasted at both sides of the dock), which doesn't sound
like a good idea after all the discussion on decreasing the panel size.

> >> Even Mark Suttleworth indicated, it is possible that in the future kde
> >> will be the main ubuntu desktop rather than gnome.
> >
> > No he didn't. He said that an LGPL Qt might be the basis of GNOME instead
> of
> > GTK - with an emphasis on *might*, because clearly that would be a lot of
> > work. Besides, GTK is also still improving.
> I was not sure exactly the wording; but now he starts talking about
> the beauty of the macintosh and the fact that ubuntu has to look even
> better, indicates that when kde 4 will be fully functional he might
> make kde as a main ubuntu desktop.

Can you cite a source? I'm quite up-to-date yet can't recall reading
anything of the sorts. I do know he wants to out-pretty OS X, but no mention
of using KDE to accomplish that. (Probably the most important step to
accomplish that is a different colour scheme ;-)