aesthetics

Sun Aug 3 10:02:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:28 AM, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Ubuntu is due to the fact that incompetent, visually illiterate people
> decide on aesthetic matters. Imagine, you are a programmer, and
> someone who thinks that  C++ an exotic sandwich from the Caribbeans
> gives you instructions of coding. Something has been happening at
> Ubuntu. I spent more less two decades working on various design field
> but if I have ever come up with such a visual hodgepodge like the
> Ubuntu interface, I would have fired at the second day. This is the
> said truth about Ubuntu; these are conditions that actually
> discouraging artist to joining to the bandwagon.
> But there are more to this. In general, Ubuntu people do not
> understand one thing. Collaboration in art and design DOESN"T WORK; at
> least not in the way it does in coding. A portrait cannot be drawn by
> many artists even if these artists are geniuses. Why? Because each has
> its inherent style that manifests regardless of the intentions.
> Drawing a collaborative portrait would end up in a Frankenstein. The
> same is true of design. Drawing on my experiences, I can say this. So
> far, I haven't heard better collaboration method than the studio
> paradigm. In this context, the customer and the art director hammer
> out all the niceties of the design and when it does go down to
> production all the details are already decided upon; after that
> graphic artists simply follow the guidelines and work out the details.
>  This way the unity and the coherence of the design can be maintained,
> of course its quality depends on the original idea and the its
> execution. A unified and coherent design, even if not as brilliant in
> its details, is better then a patchwork with superior items.
>
> > So as I see it, it's all a matter of resources, or more specifically the
> > lack of them. Not that it's a wonder that open source projects attract
> > more coders and users than let's say graphical artists or sound
> > designers. This is evidenced by the fact that to my knowledge you are
> > and have been the only active artist in the Xubuntu team for quite a
> > while. It's certainly not because artists are actively discouraged from
> > joining the team.
>
> Jari, this is not the matter of lack of resources but the proper
> understanding of the issues involved. But now, lets talk about
> xubuntu. Xubuntu development suffers from the exact same shortcomings
> as Ubuntu does. Decisions are made by those who have no understanding
> about design issues. You are here long enough and probably remember
> that I have been advocating changes in xubuntu since almost day one.
> And what happened? up until now almost all of my recommendations have
> been ignored. I suggested, replacing the icon theme, cleaning up the
> icons, improving the icons on the panel, changing  the gtk theme,
> theming the panel and so on and guess what, all of them ignored. Plain
> and simple without even giving indication why. This is what
> frustrating and not the lack of resources.

This still sounds like a problem with a lack of resources to me. Someone has
to create and package the new icons and the panel theme, package the icon
theme and gtk theme - who's supposed to do that? If I knew how to package
I'd gladly be of help, as artwork is something I do care about, but
unfortunately I don't know how to package. And even if I could, there still
isn't a panel theme I could package since nobody has created one.

--
Vincent