Side effect of making xubuntu-devel a member of xubuntu-team

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 30 23:20:21 UTC 2008

Okay. As I already said, I've requested a xubuntu-bugs mailing list.
However, since this seems to be a bigger problem then I thought, no more bug
mail will be delivered to xubuntu-devel from this point forward.

During Intrepid, I hope to code some tools that help make bug triage easier.
ie. I'm thinking of maybe generating and sending out a weekly bug
report/overview to this list to just keep everyone in the loop. Thoughts?
Ideas?

Cheers,

Cody

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Charlie Kravetz <cjk at teamcharliesangels.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 12:42 -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:
> >

> > On 4/27/08, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:
> >         Vincent wrote:
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 6:46 PM, Eero Tamminen
> >         <oak at helsinkinet.fi
> >         > <mailto:oak at helsinkinet.fi>> wrote:
> >         >
> >         >     Hi,
> >         >
> >         >     On Saturday 26 April 2008, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> >         >      > > As someone who has focused primarily on the
> >         documentation, I
> >         >     find the
> >         >      > > deluge of bug reports on the mailing list a little
> >         >     overwhelming.  And I
> >         >      > > think it also increases the signal-to-noise ratio
> >         for
> >         >     discussions on
> >         >      > > the list - it makes it easier for a discussion to
> >         get lost.
> >         >      > >
> >         >      > > I'd be willing to take myself off of the Xubuntu
> >         team list if
> >         >     others
> >         >      > > want to keep things this way, but  I'd prefer to
> >         not receive bug
> >         >      > > reports from xubuntu-devel.
> >         >      >
> >         >
> >         >
> >         >     Maybe there could be a separate xubuntu-bugs mailing
> >         list?
> >         >
> >         >
> >         > I was just going to suggest this myself, so a +1 from me.
> >
> >         I don't see any reason why not to do this are there any? It
> >         will thinks
> >         more cleaner. so +1 for me to.
> >
> >         Jelle
> >
> > Regarding the bugs mailing list . . .  I'm indifferent (and I don't
> > mean that in a bad way).  I'm ok with being able to contribute to
> > documentation, but just find it annoying for every Xubuntu bug report
> > to come into my mailbox when I want to focus on docs.  What if someone
> > wants to contribute to artwork or the website - should they have to
> > see a bug report for xfwm4 crashing?  Maybe Jani, Cody, and Lionel
> > don't like all of the artwork and other non-core-dev related
> > discussions on the devel mailing list, and they prefer things this
> > way.
> >
> > I can see the need to be notified of bug reports for Xubuntu
> > testing/QA, packaging, and seed management . . .  but documentation,
> > artwork and community-building/website/marketing folks shouldn't need
> > to see every report.  Maybe create a xubuntu-core-dev (or xubuntu-qa)
> > mailing list for testers, packagers, and seed managers?  Or maybe
> > create a xubuntu-devel-discuss list for less technical development
> > discussions?  Maybe people like Cody, Lionel, Jani, Jerome, and others
> > like having the bug reports come through, but no other team does
> [...]

Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Engineer
Red Cow Marketing & Technologies, Inc.
Office: 506-458-1290