New gdm configuration for testing

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 1 19:55:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:37 PM, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl>
wrote:

> Jelle de Jong wrote:
> >> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 4:53 PM, Jelle de Jong
> >> <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> wrote:

<snip>

> >  > If I am not mistaken, we want each xubuntu release to be a unique
> >  > visual experience rather than just a generic piece of look and feel.
> >  >
> >  > jmak
> >
> > We can use different upstream artwork every release. As long as the
> > packaging process is done good and makes backward compatibility
> possible.
> >
> > We could spent more efforts on creating better artwork in the form of
> > consistent tango style icons for all applications, combined with valid
> > .desktop files and svg and png based artwork. Also some HIG improvements
> > in the naming of applications will be a good proses.
> >
> > Or is this not a thing we want to focus on?
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Jelle
> >
> > PS jmak please do not top post or do you have something against bottom
> > posting please share your arguments. I really appreciate bottom posting
> > it allows me to follow the communication of everybody in a organised
> matter.
> >

> I would really like to hear the developers opinion about this? Are my
> suggestions against the xubuntu mission/development strategie?

Artwork really isn't up to "the developers", it is up to those who do the
artwork. If they want to produce new artwork each release, I'm not going to
refuse to package it considering it doesn't take that much time up. If you
think Jmak could better spend his time, maybe thats a discussion you could
have with him personally but I know I'd find it a bit insulting if someone
came to me and told me that maybe I should invest my time in Ubuntu instead
of Xubuntu, or task xyz instead of xyz. Open source is generally all about
scratching our own itches. As long as the look and feel is acceptable (which
I measure by getting a number of third opinions from the ubuntu-art team and
gaging general feedback) then I'll continue to do the packaging required.

Thanks,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Engineer