No subject

Thu Oct 18 14:49:24 BST 2007

(1) Some upstream developers believe a distro should not substantially
modify packages
(2) Most upstream developers believe Xubuntu does not try to get its
patches into Xfce (upstream)

IMHO, you should deal with (1) by ignoring it. It goes against the
Ubuntu philosophy, so don't worry about it. It's also more of a naming
thing. They really mean Xubuntu isn't a "distro," since it does more
than distribute software.

You should deal with (2) by creating evidence to show that it's false.
For example, make your first post to the xfce-dev mailing list a
discussion of an existing Xubuntu-only patch that Xfce could benefit
from. You might be told to start a bug report; that's fine, everyone
on the mailing list still saw one more example of Xubuntu working to
get its patches into Xfce. Then follow through with it.

I think I've made it clear that more communication with Xfce
(upstream) is important and beneficial to Xubuntu. And I've explained
exactly how to do that, based on my experience. I hope I haven't
offended anyone in this email, and I hope to see more Xubuntu
representation on the Xfce communications channels.

-Diego Ongaro