Release candidate release notes

Eero Tamminen oak at
Sun Oct 14 22:47:01 BST 2007

On Sunday 14 October 2007, Vincent wrote:
> On 14/10/2007, Eero Tamminen <oak at> wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 October 2007, Vincent wrote:
> > > Anyway, it's now available here:
> > >
> > > (I think it does need to be edited a bit to be more release note-ish
> > > instead of blog post-ish ;-)
> >
> > Great review, thanks!  I'm definitely going to test/use Gutsy Xubuntu
> > (once I find computer where to install it[1]).  Are all the Murraine
> > color variations listed here available on new Xubuntu:
> >
> > ?
> >
> > Could the review mention also some things in which Xubuntu differs from
> > Ubuntu besides using different desktop environment?
> >

> > Regarding this comment in your article:
> > "Then Xubuntu inherits from Ubuntu the latest Linux kernel (core) that
> > includes dynticks. Again, I'm not too sure what exactly it is, but I
> > read that it makes sure Xubuntu uses less power and makes your computer
> > produce less heat"
> >
> > Kernel using Dynticks infrastructure (i.e. instead of waking the CPU at
> > fast
> > fixed clock rate, kernel now lets HW to sleep until the next wakeup),
> > is not enough for getting Xubuntu to use less battery.  The kernel
> > cannot let the HW to sleep if some user-space application is constantly
> > polling the
> > kernel.  This page lists some worst offenders:
> >
> > (gnome power manager, mixer applet, firefox, pidgin, SDL programs...)
> >
> > I don't think anybody's checked Xubuntu desktop for this.  You don't
> > really
> > need powertop for checking this.  Just pick the topmost process showing
> > in "top" output and attach strace to it with "strace -p PID"
> > (preferably through ssh instead of terminal window so that this window
> > doesn't create extra activity).  If the process does anything more
> > often than say at few second intervals without user doing something
> > with it, the program should be
> > fixed.  Now that kernel has inotify (file change notifications),
> > nothing should need to be polled.
> OK, I'm not sure whether I followed that... Does this mean that I should
> make a modification to the blog post?

If you could mention something about differences between Ubuntu and
Xubuntu Gutsy release, that would be nice.

The comment about dynticks and polling is more of a generic comment to
the dev-list of things to check.  It would be bad if Xubuntu would be worse
than Ubuntu/Gnome desktop in regards to battery consumption now that
Linux kernel can actually save battery.  This battery saving happens only
*if* desktop / panel applets / applications don't explicitly try to drain it
(by polling).

It's not only for laptops either.  Desktop computers that run cooler need
then to use those noisy fans less too...

	- Eero