Most ideal way to autostart processes

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 4 06:15:25 UTC 2007

Jani,

I poked asac in -devel a few days ago and reminded him to include the network
manager update.  You guys can probably add it to your seeds now and be ready to
go :)

It's in ours right now as a depend on mythbuntu-desktop, but I may just make it
a recommend instead if someone wants to remove it possibly.

Jani Monoses wrote:

> XDG dirs is a colon separated list of paths, can you not reuse Xfce
> stuff in /etc/xdg and only override from /etc/xdg/mythbuntu ?
> In /usr/bin/startxfce4 we set such an override:

Yeah, this makes much more sense.  We've got a few things that we are probably
overriding that don't need to be overridden still.  I'll have to make sure to
take those out at some point.

> been replaced by gnome-system-tools now that this is no longer dependent
> on libgnome. x-s-t was built from same source package with a
> --disable-config optin that is no longer needed.

Makes sense

> I think it is fine as it is, but you'll probably see things that need
> adjusting. I'd say if possible reuse as much of the xubuntu startup
> scripts, and chnge XDG en vars in the wrapper script.
>
> What are the things you use XDG disrs for?

A whole slew of things.  These come to mind ( there are a few more i'm probably
not thinking of however):
- Menu
- Background
- Theme
- Splash Screen

> I intend to add that to default xubutu as well. It then should be
> started as any othe XDG autostart app.

Yeah update-notifier is working as expected now that it xdg autostarts.  I added
it to our seed.

---

At a different note, who is going to be at UDS representing Xubuntu this year?
I'm coming for the week and would love to meet some of you guys and join in on
some discussion.  I don't have any ideas for improvement off hand yet since
we're such recent new comers to the Xfce world, but I'm sure that some great
ideas can be sparked.

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com