New panel size

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 19:31:20 UTC 2007

On Nov 10, 2007 1:11 PM, Diego Ongaro <ongardie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2007 10:46 AM, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I totally agree with this, I will go even further, There should not be
> > > made any changes in XFCE, except some basic artwork, All changes must be
> > > made upstream. Communicate with the developers and work with them.
> >

> > [snip]
> > We have to do our best  to put out the best possible xubuntu even with
> > the current limitations of xfce, rather than do nothing as you
> > suggest. Look at the other xfce distros, they are doing all kinds of
> > interesting things and some of them is quite attractive. It is not for
> > nothing that Mint, for instance, is in the fifth place on the
> > distorwatch. Take a look how polished it is.
> >

> Before this gets out of hand, let me try to mediate. To summarize the
> discussion so far:
> - My suggestion was to not waste too much effort on something that
> will be fixed in 4.6, namely panel sizing.
> - Jelle's suggestion was that branding should happen in Xubuntu; any
> other development should happen upstream, collaborating with Xfce.
> - Jmak's response was that it is necessary make progress directly in
> Xubuntu to meet users' demands and stay competitive.

When I started this discussion about xubuntu's look and feel, my
initial proposal was to go back to the original layout, because that
is how xfce was conceived at the first place.  Do not force something
upon it that was not designed for. It is now obvious that xfce, at its
current state, cannot function properly as a gnome layout but pretty
well as a one at the bottom panel arrangement. If we go back to this,
all the problems discussed in the past couple of days will go away.
The solution is so simple.

http://jozmak.blogspot.com/