Some thoughts about xubuntu hardy

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:38:17 UTC 2007

On 11/7/07, Ghostvirus <theghostvirus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a few suggestions:
>
> 1. Making the panels smaller is a good idea. 28 pixels at most is a good
> size. You could get away with even less quite easily, too.

The gnome panel size is 23, that would be perfect for xubuntu. The
current oversized panels are so overbearing that they throw the entire
desktop out of balance.

> 2. I'm not a fan of the GNOME-like 2 panels setup Xubuntu has (I prefer 1
> panel on the bottom), but I'd prefer keeping it rather than making any
> radical changes. The whole justification for using the GNOME-like setup was
> to make it easier for users to go between Xubuntu and regular Ubuntu, wasn't
> it? So why change it now?
>
> 3. I'm not sure I understand the obsession with the nuoveXT icon theme. It's
> nowhere near as extensive as Tango, and AFAIK, it hasn't been updated to
> conform to the FreeDesktop.org naming specs because it's no longer
> maintained. The author of the set did make a new theme called nuoveXT2, but
> in my opinion they both look far too Vista-like to begin with. If Xubuntu no
> longer wants to use Tango as its default icon theme, I'd recommend the
> CrashBit icons which look a little like Tango, but more "shiny."

Thanks for the input. I really like the CrashBit icon theme. We can
definitely consider it for hardy.

> 4. The Murrina-Storm theme used in 7.10 is bland. I know Murrina is a quick
> and light engine, but the theme itself is ugly. If Xubuntu is going to
> continue using Murrina as its default theme engine, I'd recommend something
> more colorful.

The idea behind the stormcloud was to break up the all encompassing
blueness of the desktop to have some color variations.

http://jozmak.blogspot.com/