Some thoughts about xubuntu hardy

Stefan Schwarzburg stefan.schwarzburg at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 7 08:14:59 UTC 2007

Hi

2007/11/6, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com>:

> Hello all,
>
> It is time again to get some brainstorming about the next xubuntu
> release, as it relates to graphic issues. Probably, some of you
> already know that the ubuntu people are planning RAAAAADICAL changes
> in ubuntu's look and feel, which involves as they said "radically
> change the artwork and the theming behind the entire desktop from boot
> all the way through to logout." The art mailing list has become very
> busy and interesting ideas are flying around once again; it seems, the
> changes will affect theming and the current color scheme; they want to
> implement new theming engine (contemplating using murrina, hey, we are
> ahead of them), a brand new set of icons, and a completely redesigned
> boot splash.
>
> In this spirit of radicalness let me propose a few ideas relating to
> xubuntu next release. The most radical among these  would be the
> suggestion of changing the current gnome layout back to the original
> xfce layout. This is why. The two panels layout is a usability
> disaster for older machines with small monitor size. It doesn't
> optimize but rather restricts the availability of valuable
> screen-space. The two oversized panels simply takes up too much
> precious screen estate that users of older computers would like to
> utilize to the fullest. Furthermore, copying the gnome layout prevents
> xubuntu to develop a healthy personality, which is a fundamental
> requirement for a brand. It is like in real life, you are original
> when you are yourself, as soon as you try to imitate someone else you
> become a fake. In addition, the traditional layout is much more
> pleasing, but this is a matter of preference. It is my experience that
> new users, when they have choices, always prefer the traditional
> layout to the gnome mimic.

Cool, this has always been the first thing I did after a new installation of
Xubuntu. I really like the idea to have a layout that looks different from
GNOME and KDE. Although the themes seen on the two flickr links you posted
would be really cool for Xubuntu, too!

Here is a mockup; it shows the way, I envision the visual appearance
> of our next release .
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Gutsy/Incoming

This is probably a personal thing, but I always prefer less application
launchers in the panel, but I need a Task List (with small buttons that form
2 rows. You can see what I mean here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27884138@N00/1899925082/ ).

Notice the themed panel. It is medium gray, from the usability point
> of view make more sense than using the contrasty white. It provides a
> more appropriate background for the application launchers.
>
> As the ubuntu people said, Hardy would be all about polish and usability.
>
> In the spirit of the above, I am proposing the following items to be
> considered for xubuntu Hardy. Some of the proposals require subtle
> fine-tunings but they are necessary to develop a consistent and
> polished look and feel.
>
> The list.
>
> 1) Let's go back to the original xfce panel layout.
> 2) Let's theme the panel
> 3) Add new icon theme-NuoveXT, the one we already agreed upon during
> feisty phase.
> 4) Take out the icon label backgrounds. They are distracting and are
> usability anomalies. And ugly too.
> 5) New gdm.
> 6) New usplash--let see how is the new usplash re-write program will
> affect the artworks' parameters.
> 7) New wallpaper
> 8) Keep the current murrina theme for the time being; however, if the
> ubuntu people come up with better ones we might consider switching.
> Look at some of the ubuntu proposals below, they are really great.

Yes they are great!

9) Customize the Gimp splash screen like ubuntu developers are
> planning. I already suggested this a couple of releases ago but then
> it was ignored. I still have the artwork, which can be implemented
> now.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29906893@N00/382776017/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/29906893@N00/382776020/in/photostream/
>
> Any thoughts?