Xubuntu 7.10 feedback - while installing

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Sun Nov 4 23:51:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

Today I tried Xubuntu 7.10 and I want to thank you for this beautiful
release. The integration of network-manager and brasero is great.

Below is a list of questions and remark on the current xubuntu release
that I noticed while installing xubuntu.

Where is the launchpad project page for Xubuntu or should I report bug
on specific packages from Ubuntu project?

Wrong file associating for image files "png,jpg, JPG" with GIMP.

Gthumb is more friendly than gqview. Gthumb should be the default
application for handling images.

Sticky and shade should not make the default settings.

Transmission should be installed by default for bittorrent downloads.

The user home folder should have some default folders like Music,
Documents, Download, Movies.

Places should be disabled by default. Setting and System should be
moved from Application menu into a different "System" menu, must like
gnome.
As a general rule I think that Xubuntu should try to keep similarities
with Ubuntu. In this case users of both versions could help each other
and be more producetive when they switch systems.

24 pixel is a fair value for panel size. Trash applet is greater than 24 pixels.

All gnome system tools applications are great, but totem is not a good pick.
When playing " Experience ubuntu.org"  totem memory usage is 18MB and
with mplayer only 4MB.

while running update-manager is a monster. on my system gnome system
monitor is reporting 51MB
http://adi.roiban.ro/public/attach/Screenshot.png

Also Thunderbird is using much more memory than Claws mail.

Audacious is not installed by default?

The grub menu entries are named "Ubuntu 7.10" and not Xubuntu.
system-monitor is also displaying "Ubuntu" as the system name.

--
Adi Roiban