Article

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Tue May 1 01:02:37 UTC 2007

On 4/30/07, Dave Dodge <dododge at dododge.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 01:52:33PM +0000, Vincent wrote:
> > On 29/04/07, jmak <jozmak at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15858
> >
> > I don't really like the themes you chose, but the vertical panel setup is
> > very ingenous IMHO :D
>
> I agree that the default layout with panels on both the top and bottom
> of the screen is not so good.  I always get rid of the top panel
> immediately, and sometimes create a side panel with icons for
> launching common applications.
>
> > I was a bit worries about you saying the iconbox was better than the task
> > list because images provide more visual clues, because an application's
> > entry at the taskbar is way easier to click on,
>
> A possible problem is when you have lots of windows and many of them
> come from the same application.  For example I have 14 Firefox windows
> (each with many tabs) open right now.
>
>                                                   -Dave Dodge

When you have that many windows open there is no optimal layout of any
kind, in my view. But when you have a modorate number of windows
open(5 -10) the icon box is the best solution. The icons are big, easy
to recongnize and a glance is usually enough to identify the windows.
The gnome like layout already problematic with 5 windows open. You
have to read through the window tiltes to know which one is which one.
Usability research unequovically confirmed that visual feedback is
more efficient than textual one.

jmak
--
http://jozmak.blogspot.com/