SMB Browsing Tools

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 21:20:01 UTC 2007

Thanks for the post. We have actually been throwing around the idea of many
different ways to overcome the smb browse issue and I believe the most
current proposal is to use pyNeighborhood (which is a python+pyGTK port of
linneighborhood to the GTK2+ library)

I believe this will be a subject best discussed in more detail after the
release of feisty and could very well be a target for feisty+1 release

-Adam

On 3/29/07, Surajram Kumaravel <mail4me at surajram.eu.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm quite new to Xubuntu (i haven't started using it.. i'm waiting for
> the iso files to download) but i've used Ubuntu and XFCE (on Zenwalk)
> quite often.
>
> I was going through the software listing page at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/ProposedPackages and found that there is
> a requrement for a SMB browsing tool. I haven't Tried using FUSE but
> from what I have read it will also overcome one of the biggest problems
> users migrating to linux face, i.e NTFS write access
>
> Coming back to the main reason for this thread... I remember using an
> extremely usefull tool as LinNeighborhood long time back
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/linneighborhood/
> http://www.bnro.de/~schmidjo/
>
> I suppose this project is not under development. but i still feel that
> this might be useful
>
> Also i came across a tool called xsmbrowser. I cant find any link to the
> web site now but here is a link to a google search
> http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&q=xsmbrowser
>
> regards,
> Surajram Kumaravel
>
> p.s. forgive any mistakes coz. i'm in a hurry...

-=:max:=-