Problem with adding samba printer in Herd 5

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 07:02:27 UTC 2007

I understand there is a slight overhead from bringing in a couple gnome-libs
(though I think it is only about 3 and they don't seem to weigh heavy on my
system unless I am using the application) but I recommend the use of gnome's
cups manager, adding printers (networked or otherwise) has been so much
easier since I installed and started using that application on my xubuntu
machine at work.

.... just a thought.

-Adam

On 3/4/07, Matías Szeftel <mszeftel at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> Foxy escribió:
> > Due to some crash of my laptop I decide to ditch Dapper and switch to
> > Feisty. This is the first time I decided to install Xubuntu. Before I
> > usually used Ubuntu with XFCE.
> >
> > The installation was fine but I ran into trouble trying to add Windows
> > samba printer. I used Settings/Printing. The programme properly
> > identified my shared printer by clicking on it did not add the printer's
> > address in the upper window (smb:// ...).
> >
> > I tried to do it manually by enabling localhost:631 and using cups
> > interface, but still I cannot do it. I think I have the address wrong
> > for some reason. I tried to run smbtree:
> >
> >> ~$ smbtree
> >> Password:
> >> WORKGROUP
> >>         \\NECAPTOP                      necaptop server (Samba, Ubuntu)
> >>                 \\NECAPTOP\IPC$                 IPC Service (necaptop
> server (Samba, Ubuntu))
> >>                 \\NECAPTOP\etc_nec
> >>                 \\NECAPTOP\sveta
> >>                 \\NECAPTOP\sasha
> >>                 \\NECAPTOP\alex
> >>                 \\NECAPTOP\print$               Printer Drivers
> >>         \\AC-PC                         Al's Uber PC
> >>                 \\AC-PC\diskl
> >>                 \\AC-PC\L$              Default share
> >>                 \\AC-PC\C$              Default share
> >>                 \\AC-PC\H$              Default share
> >>                 \\AC-PC\ADMIN$          Remote Admin
> >>                 \\AC-PC\dx3800          EPSON Stylus DX3800 Series
> >>                 \\AC-PC\diskd
> >>                 \\AC-PC\print$          Printer Drivers
> >>                 \\AC-PC\SharedDocs
> >>                 \\AC-PC\D$              Default share
> >>                 \\AC-PC\IPC$            Remote IPC
> >>                 \\AC-PC\diskh
> >>

> > So I put smb://WORKGROUP/AK-PC/dx3800, but CUPS shows
> >
> >> "Unable to connect to CIFS host, will retry in 60 seconds..."
> >>

> A long chance but, is this a typo?
> smb://WORKGROUP/AK-PC/dx3800 .
> Shound't it be:
> smb://WORKGROUP/AC-PC/dx3800? (note the C for the K)

> Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
> Todo lo que querías saber, y lo que ni imaginabas,
> está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
> ¡Probalo ya!
> http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

-=:max:=-