Xubuntu Documentation Browser spec

Luzius Thöny lucius.antonius at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 23:13:36 UTC 2007

Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We've created a spec for a Xubuntu documentation browser, and we have
> it up
> on the Gutsy specification portion of our wiki.  Here's the link:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Specifications/Gutsy/DocumentationBrowser
>
> We haven't yet put it up on launchpad, nor have we sought input from the
> Ubuntu-doc people - we just wanted to send it out to the Xubuntu folks
> first.
>
> Please let us know what you think of the project idea and the spec.
> Assuming we have good feedback on it, we look forward to moving ahead
> with
> it soon.
>
> Jim

i'm not against a dedicated help browser for xubuntu, however i think
that at this point, it would make more sense to put effort into the
documentation itself :) to be honest, not much has happened there since
dapper, and quite a bit of our documentation is really outdated. jani
pointed out a few points which need fixing (see list archive), but
unfortunately that did not  get done in time for the feisty release.

personally, i think that firefox is quite up to the job of presenting
help pages. the only thing i miss is a multi-page 'search', and maybe
the ability to launch it with 'f1'. that could probably be fixed though
by binding 'f1' to launching firefox with the help documents open,
couldn't it? a good thing in my opinion would be to increase the
visibility of the desktop guide, by setting up a 'Help' entry in the
'Applications' menu, which would open the desktop guide in firefox.

please consider that writing a new app from scratch and bringing it into
the 'main' repo is not a small task and needs some dedication from the
developers. i'm not saying it shouldn't or couldn't be done, i'm just
suggesting to think about whether or not it's worth your time before you
start.

about translations: the xubuntu desktop guide *has* been in rosetta and
has at least been partially translated there. however, i cannot tell you
whether the translations were actually shipped with xubuntu feisty
'final' or not (i'm guessing no :[ ).

~luzi