Icons

jmak jozmak at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 02:57:05 UTC 2007

On 1/19/07, Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> jmak kirjoitti:

> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> AFAIK the settings manager plugins have the icon filenames hard coded in
> >> the source. The icons themselves are installed into the hicolor icon
> >> theme by the packages that provide these plugins. For example, the
> >> package xfce-mcs-plugins (or xfce4-mcs-plugins) installs the following
> >> icons into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/(scalable|48x48)/apps:
> >>
> >> xfce-filemanager.(svg|png)
> >> xfce4-display.(svg|png)
> >> xfce4-keyboard.(svg|png)
> >> xfce4-mouse.(svg|png)
> >> xfce4-ui.(svg|png)
> >>
> >> Note that you might need to restart the xfce-mcs-manager process (or
> >> simply log out and back in) to see the changes in the settings manager
> >> UI after modifying these files. You might also want to offer your
> >> new-and-improved icons to be included upstream before substituting them
> >> locally in the Xubuntu packages. The xfce4-dev list [1] would probably
> >> be the right place for this.
> >>

> > Thanks Jari,
> >
> > I looked at those directories already but those icons are not the same
> > as the ones in the setting manager. I also looked at the
> > /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps directory. In this, some of the
> > icons are the same as in the setting manager but some different (for
> > instance the xfce4-display). Just to try what happens, I replaced the
> > calendar icon in this directory with my own but the setting manager
> > still shows the old icon.
> >
> > Jmak
>
> Hi again,
>

> Are you sure your current icon theme doesn't override the icons
> installed by the packages? Tango, for example, provides symlinked
> substitute icons for most of these, including the orage/xfcalendar icon
> you mentioned, xfcalendar.(png|svg). Look in the 48x48/apps and
> scalable/apps directories of your current theme and it's fallbacks to
> see if they provide these icons.
>
> If all you want is to see your new icons in action after you've placed
> them in hicolor, you can simply switch to the "rodent" icon theme
> provided by Xfce (it should be available, at least if you're running
> Xubuntu Edgy, don't know about Feisty) or hicolor so the default icons
> will be picked up. And I tested, no need to restart xfce-mcs-manager,
> just change the icon theme.

Jari,

The icon locations are very inconsistent. The orage icon, for instance
in the tango scalable folder. But I am unable to find the printer
icon, which is a rodent style icon, completely outdated and
stylistically speaking doesn't fit in with the the rest of the icons.
That one we have to replace because it stick out so badly that hurts.
I modified the tango printer icon to go with the other icons, now we
just have to find where the original icon that we have to replace.
There is one in the rodent directory, I replaced that icon thinking
that this was the one the setting manager points to but nothing
happened. After I went through all the directories searching for the
original printer and the panel icons, but no luck. If anyone could
help me to locate the source icons it would be great.
I had a bit of success identifying the Panel manager icon and I
already modified that one. Look at the attachments. This is the kind
of panel icon I want in the setting manager as well.

The other attachment goes in a separate mail because it keep bouncing.

Jmak
--
2007 Calendar
http://www.lulu.com/content/512622