Thunar default configuration

Cody A.W. Somerville cody-somerville at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 17 17:26:27 UTC 2007

This feature clearly improves usability. The number of people who would
appreciate this feature, I believe, would outweigh the number of people who
would not appreciate it. For those who don't like it, they can, as you said,
easily disable it.

I am with you, don't do stuff unless asked or configured,

Why not force the user to manually mount their drivers? Why don't we just
provide the packages and let the users configure the system from scratch?
Why automatically configure X when the use can just write the xorg.conf file
necessary for X to work? Or better yet, Why not make users patch and compile
their own kernels?

So, just like we removed special desktop icons, I'd prefer not enabling this
> tools by default.

This should also be enabled once there is an option in the mcs desktop
configuration plugin to disable it. It is one of the most asked questions on
#xubuntu.

As for documentation, easier said then done. Don't just say "we'll write the
documentation for it" until you're ready to actually write the documentation
yourself.

Sorry if this e-mail comes across as a little aggressive but I'm a little
taken back by the only rational being presented to disable this feature is
"I don't like it". I bet people upstream would be disappointed that you
would discard their hard work so easily.

-1 for disabling this feature by default.

Thanks,

Cody A.W. Somerville

Firefox (www.getfirefox.com) -- A browser you can trust