Claws-Mail in Xubuntu
gauvainpocentek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 16:00:57 UTC 2007
Colin Leroy wrote:
> Hi there,
> I saw the forum post there:
> If you want to switch to Claws as the default mail client in Xubuntu,
> I'm interested in helping.
Thanks for your proposal, but I've several concerns:
1. we already had this discussion (for dapper and edgy), and it seems
that (for the moment) TBird, even if it's a bigger app, provides more
features and is more stable
2. who will maintain the package, ie. fix the bugs, deal with updates... ?
3. claws will need to be promoted in main, and with it 3 other source
packages. Who will maintain them? And an ubuntu policy is to avoid
duplication of apps in main. We already have evolution and thunderbird.
I doubt that the distro team will be OK to promote a new GTK mail client.
4. I didn't find an easy way to import my TBird mailboxes/settings. I
don't want to set everything again (filters, folders and such).
5. last time I tried claws, it wasn't possible to keep the mails on the
mail server. This is a blocker, for me at least.
More information about the xubuntu-devel