Adding Gnome apps

Giuseppe Torelli colossus73 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:26:14 UTC 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 9:21 PM, Jani Monoses <jani at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The gnome libs issue is a problem too, just not the largest. The best
> way to solve this is looking into removing libgnome dependencies from
> such apps instead of putting in immature or unmaintained ones instead.

Who says they are immature? wicd is far away network-manager for example
but you said in past emais it's "immature".

> If you wish to improve memory consumption,
> picking an included gnome app and sending a patch upstream is the best
> way to help.

Yes, I agree with you but then it's up to the developers to accept
those GTK only patches
and not everybody will accept them. Including them in the meantime in
Xubuntu wasn't a
good choice according to my humble opinion because the more there are
gnome related
library's app in Xubuntu the more difficult will be to get rid of them.

> There are plenty such apps, they were mentioned in past threads. So
> anyone willing to help please consider helping out with code instead of
> endlessly debating this.

In my "endlessly debating" I hope to open Xubuntu's leaders eyes, many
have complaint
on Linux related web sites when Xubuntu Gutsy was released because of
the gnome library
inclusion. Xubuntu is not a lightweigher distro anymore. If you
decided to change the Xubuntu
target I agree with you.
--
Colossus