Adding Gnome apps

Jani Monoses jani at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 18 20:21:12 UTC 2007

Giuseppe Torelli wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 8:10 PM, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So what's the problem with including GTK apps that contain "Gnome" in their
>> name?
>
> Infact this is not the problem. The problem is their dependancy from gnome
> related libraries.

That's not the largest problem. Other things in a normal desktop take up
more space (python apps like hplip, ubiquity, printer applet).

The gnome libs issue is a problem too, just not the largest. The best
way to solve this is looking into removing libgnome dependencies from
such apps instead of putting in immature or unmaintained ones instead.
This 2.22 GNOME cycle two of my patches were included upstream, they get
rid of libgnome in gucharmap and network-manager and if time permits
I'll look into others too. If you wish to improve memory consumption,
picking an included gnome app and sending a patch upstream is the best
way to help. Whining about app choices is not productive and won't get
us anywhere.

There are plenty such apps, they were mentioned in past threads. So
anyone willing to help please consider helping out with code instead of
endlessly debating this.

Jani