(unknown)

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Tue Dec 18 08:20:57 UTC 2007

On 18/12/07 06:41:55, Giuseppe Torelli wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2007 1:29 PM, Jani Monoses <jani at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > It is unrelated to this patch, but I'd rather we drop battery plugin and
> > use gnome-power-manager as it gives a lot more information and is better
> > integrated with the rest of the power management.
>
> Another gnome app in a XFCE related distro? So the hour will come when
> there will be no need to use XFCE because of the aboundance of
> gnome-related program and Xubuntu will be a bloated copy of Ubuntu.

I know this was beaten to death (and quite a bit beyond) previously, but I
never did figure something out: what is your aversion to all things gnome?
There are some gnome apps that are quite tightly coupled to the gnome
environment and so pull in lots of libraries when used outside of gnome but
there are others that are really just GTK apps that happen to have gnome in
their name because they were aimed primarily at gnome users (and a continuum
between the two extremes).

Ubuntu does a lot of things very well. Xubuntu exists to modify Ubuntu a bit
to make it fit a different niche. What to change and what to use from base
Ubuntu is a Hard Problem and I'm sure you could give useful input but simply
repeating "Gnome is evil" and predicting the downfall of Xubuntu if any apps
are included with gnome in the name is not very productive.

Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Learn from your parents mistakes: use birth control.