Poll for GNOME dependencies

Harold Aling h.aling at home.nl
Tue Aug 21 20:45:15 UTC 2007

jmak wrote:
> On 8/21/07, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I've posted a poll in the forums here:
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=521787
>>>
>>> If anyone thinks it should be modified in any way, just say so.
>>>
>> I've looked at the comments and except one, they're either off topic or not very well argumented.
>> More interesting questions would be:
>>
>>  what apps do you install besides defaults from xubuntu-desktop?
>>  what apps from the default install do you remove or replace?
>>
>> that way it would reflect actual usage vs. opinions that are ideologically or otherwise biased.
>>
>> And mention in the poll that only apps that average users (non-developers) would use are requested -
>> so for instance no preferred chat client, console mailer, development environment or security tools.
>> The only apps suggested are those that have an equivalent in Ubuntu/Kubuntu default installs.
>>
>> could someone set up such a poll?
>>

> After the questions, we have to give choices because that is how the
> polling shceme works.
>
> For instance,
>
> 1) what apps do you install besides defaults
> a) ?
> b) ?
> c) ?
>
> so that people can vote on the app,
>
> or
>
> 2) what apps from the default install do you remove
> a) ?
> b) ?
> c) ?
>
> Lets make up the list and i can set up the poll. I think the forum
> polling feature allows only 4 choices. So we cannot fit all the
> questions into one poll, which is not a problem because we can setup
> more than one poll.
>
> jmak

My list:

1) what apps do you install besides defaults
a) OpenOffice
b) VLC
c) update-notifier (very important!!!)
d) gimmage (http://gimmage.berlios.de/)
e) bluez-gnome (for bluetooth support)
f) network-manager-{gnome|pptp} (to connect to the office VPN)

2) what apps from the default install do you remove
a) gxine
b) gqview (if it were possible to remove...)
c) abiword
d) gnumeric

-H-