gnome-games?

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Tue Aug 21 18:59:55 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 21 August 2007, Ghostvirus wrote:
> On 8/21/07, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
> > There were talks a while back about addign games to xubuntu.
> >
> > What do you think of gnome-games (they come with
> > the dependencies on the CD)
>
> I don't see any point in including the games. They're not necessary to
> have a functional desktop. If people really want them, they're in the
> repos. Just my $0.02.

I think users in general expect some games, all the other desktops
(Windows, OSX, Ubuntu/Kubuntu...) include them.

However, I think it could be enough to have a menu entry which points
to an (X)Ubuntu Wiki page telling how to install games and recommends some
good ones (preferably with links to screenshots etc).

Gnome-games are nice because they are translated.  Unfortunately most of
the nicer and lightweight games aren't[1], which makes them less suitable
for non-english speaking users.  I guess this kind of pages that are linked
to from the installation should have also translated versions of the pages,
but that's something that could be done later and by the main Ubuntu
project?

	- Eero

[1] for example the simple ones in ace-of-penguins package.