documentation

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 18:23:32 UTC 2007

Hi All,

On 8/21/07, George Lesica <glesica at gmail.com> wrote:

> I sent in a patch for printing.  It describes everything the ubuntu docs
> do but modified to work with xubuntu.

Thanks, George.  I'll take a look at your patch.

On 8/21/07, Jani Monoses < jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Well, at the start of the gutsy dev cycle, we decided to start the
> > > documentation over, based on current ubuntu docs. a snapshot of the
> > > ubuntu docs was imported to SVN, and some patches by jim and freddy to
> > > make the documents xubuntu compatible were committed. i'm afraid that
> > > it's by no means done yet, though. the sections on desktop effects or
> > > printing e.g. have not been touched yet (is that right jim & freddy?).
> > > if true, this basically leaves us two choices: 1) put more effort into
> >
> > > the the approach we started to get it done in time for gutsy 2) ship
> > > feisty's desktop guide. the first one would be much preferred of
> > course,
> > > but it needs quite some love...
> >
> > desktop effects we do not have by default so that is not needed.
> > prinitng can be copied from the ubuntu desktop guide (when finished), as
> > starting with gutsy Ubuntu uses system-configprinter, as Xubuntu does
> > since 6.10
> > I also say that option 1) is preferable
> >
> > Jani

I expect that we'll be able to go with #1, too.  I have more time available
to me now, and better understand the relationship between the .ent files and
the documentation.

As a note to other documentors, don't let the libs / ent stuff slow us
down.  Initial content is more important that the .ent and the libs stuff,
which can be cleaned up later.

Jani, it looks like you completed the "Debian" information of the
documentation for the Dapper cycle.  I will likely contact you off-list to
get more information about what we should be including in there.

Jim