wicd

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Aug 20 20:50:00 UTC 2007

Jani Monoses kirjoitti:
>> That depends. Can you find a well designed, high quality app for every
>> common task, or do you just hope they'll pop up if you keep rejecting
>> all those you deem not worthy? I'd rather use a lesser piece of software
>
> many times no app is better than a not worthy app. The latter can cause more negative
> imporessions. The same reasoning is behind seriously considering dropping xfburn for gutsy.
>
> Jani

Please do not quote incomplete sentences when it so obviously distorts
the intent of the original writer. The sentence continues: "...that is
stable and does it's job well enough". In the case of xfburn I'd have to
agree that it's still lacking in both stability and features to be
considered worthy of inclusion. Too bad Brasero has such a lengthy list
of (GNOME) dependencies...

The point of the quoted mail was that a distro with a small developer
base shouldn't be overtly picky. It's a bit hard to convince
users/clients to migrate to a particular distro if it doesn't even
provide the expected basic functionality (whatever that is), no matter
how well designed the apps it does include.

I'm not implying any of this has been a particular problem for Xubuntu,
I just wrote in answer to Mr. Corbier's comments.

- Jari