wicd

Jari Rahkonen jari.rahkonen at pp1.inet.fi
Fri Aug 17 21:17:03 UTC 2007

Giuseppe Torelli kirjoitti:
> On 8/17/07, Jérémie Corbier <jcorbier at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> In its current state, I would not even consider packaging it...  There are little
>> chances it would make it into the archive.  "It kinda works for me" is not
>> enough of a check before integrating random pieces of software into Xubuntu.
>
> Did you try it by yourself? Unfortunately i don't have a wireless card.
>
>> Besides, we are past Feature Freeze and this is typically the kind of
>> improvement that would require a spec given the impact it has on the
>> distribution.
>
> So let's consider it for gutsy+1 then.

For what it's worth, wicd works without problems on the three Feisty
boxes I've installed it on, all with different network hardware. The GUI
could be a bit smoother but it definitely does the job. Just make sure
to install the latest version from wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php if
you're willing to give it a go.

I wouldn't mind having wicd in a future version of Xubuntu, but would
just as readily accept whatever tool is picked for the task as long as
it can handle all the relevant encryption schemes and isn't too resource
hungry.

- Jari