Tribe 4 released?

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 18:28:17 UTC 2007

On 10/08/07, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/08/07, Freddy Martinez <freddymartinez9 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Shall I already publish an announcement without linking to the notes
> > which
> > > can be updated when they're finished, or shall we wait with the
> > announcement
> > > till the notes are finished?
> >
> > Wait for the notes to be done.  I apologize it took me so long to get
> > these done, I've been incredibly busy as of late and didn't have time
> > to research what was new with Tribe 4.  Feel free to edit the page [1]
> > and give it some love.
>

> I'll see if I can add what Jani recently posted. Also, perhaps anyone with
> Gutsy could add a screenshot of the places menu expanded?

Looking through Ubuntu's release notes, I see two things that might affect
Xubuntu:

AppArmor by default

> First introduced in Tribe 3, the AppArmor<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor>security framework is now installed by default.
>
> AppArmor <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor> is a framework for
> providing enhanced proactive security through mandatory access control, i.
> e. minimize the privileges of processes to greatly reduce the potential
> impact of security vulnerabilities. The profiles<http://packages.ubuntu.com/gutsy/base/apparmor-profiles>themselves are shipped in universe, since they are not officially supported
> yet.
>
> Please see the tutorial <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor> for
> how to use it.

Is this also the case for Xubuntu?

Smooth shutdown splash

> The splash screen displayed on shutdown no longer flickers briefly to a
> black screen during the shutdown process.

I suppose this either means Gutsy's shutdown process now either consists of
"scary text" like it did with the first half up til now, or of the Usplash
like it did with the second half of the shutdown process up till now. Can
anyone with Gutsy confirm which one?

I'm also planning to start using Gutsy but I'll first be going on a two week
holiday :D

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GutsyGibbon/Tribe4/Xubuntu

--
Vincent