GNOME dependencies

Lionel Le Folgoc mrpouit at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 10 17:28:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

Giuseppe Torelli wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/daily-live/20070808/gutsy-desktop-i386.manifest
>
> Please let me understand. Did you include gnome dependencies in the
> next Xubuntu Gutsy?

They came automagically because evince-gtk depends on them, and this
since the beginning of Gutsy release cycle. I don't remember seeing
anybody yelling about that, so it seems gnome dependencies are not a
pain to many people.. or it means that nobody downloaded and tested the
several Tribes live-cd (btw, that's not very cool for Jim and Freddy who
ask for testing and try to write release notes).

In both cases, we may have a problem: IMO, this ML(our meetings) is(are)
a waste of time. Many people express their opinion, write
specifications, tell other people what they should do, but do nothing...
and finally, less than 10 people are doing something, packaging, coding,
testing, trying to make the best release, and other people are always
putting on the table the same topic (sylpheed or thunderbird, how great!).

I don't think xubuntu lack a community, it only lacks active people...
For example, (almost) nobody does bug triaging for xubuntu. Don't you
think this would help improving xubuntu and xfce if reported bugs were
triaged and forwarded upstream? That's an example among many, it does
not require technical skills, and it's often a good 'trigger' to become
Ubuntu member and more involved in Ubuntu...

Cheers,
Lionel

PS: please don't misinterpret me (and sorry for the sarcasms again), I
am not blaming anyone, I am blaming us 'as a whole', and I am afraid we
are going to the same point with the latest endless flamewar (gnome or
not?)...