GNOME dependencies

Giuseppe Torelli colossus73 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:45:34 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Jani Monoses <jani.monoses at gmail.com> wrote:
>but the new gaim (pidgin) for some reason
> uses libgnome now and gstreamer. Making a pidgin-gtk package seems to me like a lot of waste of time.

gt[xarchiver]$ pidgin -v
Pidgin 2.0.2
gt[xarchiver]$ ldd `which pidgin`|grep gnome
gt[xarchiver]$

Which pidgin are you using?

gt[xarchiver]$ ldd `which evince`|grep gnome
        libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0
(0xb7bae000)
        libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomeprint-2-2.so.0 (0xb7b46000)
        libgnomecanvas-2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.so.0 (0xb7b1b000)
gt[xarchiver]$

So no GNOME dependencies. Jani what are you trying to do?

> It would be good to have but it's a lot of work upfront and then continual maintenance and bother not
> only for us but for Ubuntu desktop devels. The other choice is to drop gaim because of these dependencies :(

No reason to drop gaim/pidgin beause of the above unless you refer to
a newer version than 2.0.2.

>http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/daily-live/20070808/gutsy-desktop-i386.manifest

Please let me understand. Did you include gnome dependencies in the
next Xubuntu Gutsy?

--
Colossus
Xarchiver, a Linux GTK+2 only archive manager - http://xarchiver.xfce.org