Xhelp code on launchpad ready

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Tue Aug 7 21:46:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 07 August 2007, Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> The prominence of the Xubuntu help on the desktop is an issue. However,
> the issue we are trying to address is that people do not want to view
> documentation in Firefox because it takes too long to load. If they
> already have firefox open, it isn't as bad but I can imagine there will
> be times when a user wants help on a topic that does not involve the
> internet/web-browser and as a consequence simply do not have firefox
> open.

If Firefox is already open, starting something like Yelp is definately
slower than opening a new window in Firefox for the help page and as it's
a new UI process, it most likely takes more memory from the system too.
Most users have browser open all the time.

> In these cases, the wait time is simply unbearable on lower-end
> systems. Often users are unaware that they are launching firefox
> and are confused by the immediate performance hit they feel.

This is a UI feedback issue.  I'm (sometimes) using Epiphany on P166
(Epiphany is slightly faster to start and uses slightly less memory than
Firefox) with IceWM and because it has a CPU meter, there's feedback
that something actually happening (besides modem noise :-)) when it's
launched.

	- Eero